So, I hate it when a recipe I make is absolutely terrible and it’s not even my fault. I didn’t burn anything or use the wrong ingredient. This is the second recipe from a particular book that has almost made me gag to bite into. Gross! Brad is out right now picking up a pizza. So I think I’ll stick to the websites where I can see ratings from now on.
I got this recipe for biscuits from allrecipes.com, and at least that was good. They were amazing, in fact.
Never Fail Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse oatmeal. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour in the milk. Stir until dough begins to pull together then turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Press dough together and then roll out until 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 2 inch round biscuits and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until golden.
I also melted some butter and spread that on top halfway through the baking. They tasted better than KFC (though I haven’t been to KFC in a while, what with the vegetarianism and all).
In other food news, we are absolutely running out of food in the house, so I am trying to get really creative with lunches and such. I can’t get to the natural foods store until Wednesday evening, and I think I am refusing to shop at Wal-Mart, though I may have to give in and go there because they are the only place around that has organic milk.
Anyhoo, I will stop complaining and leave with this very wonderful photo from our babysitting day: